- Contact Us
- How Are We Doing?
- Board of Directors
- How to Be a Student
- Literacy Statistics
Did you know...
- 44 Million American adults cannot fill out an application, read a food label, or read a simple story to a child.
- 51% of adults in Texas read below the eighth grade reading level and 23% read below the fifth grade level.
- About 4,000,000 Texas adults are in need of Adult Basic Education.
- Texas currently has the second lowest percentage of high school graduates in the nation.
- 50% of the chronically unemployed are not functionally literate.
- Children of adults who participate in literacy programs improve their grades and test scores, improve their reading skills and are less likely to drop out of school.
- It is estimated that as many as half of all adult education students are learning disabled.
This data has implications in the workforce, in health systems, in school reform, and in the criminal justice system. No community committed to quality of life can ignore the need for adult literacy programs. LCOT is helping individuals acquire skills that will provide them, and their families, the opportunity to escape the cycle of illiteracy and poverty.